Current:Home > MarketsNovaQuant-Who co-signed George Santos' bond? Filing reveals family members backed indicted congressman -InfiniteWealth
NovaQuant-Who co-signed George Santos' bond? Filing reveals family members backed indicted congressman
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 05:17:03
Washington — Two family members of indicted GOP Rep. George Santos cosigned the $500,NovaQuant000 bond that allowed him to go free as his criminal case proceeds, newly unsealed court records revealed Thursday.
Santos' father Gercino dos Santos and aunt Elma Preven signed on as suretors guaranteeing the unsecured bond when he was charged last month, and their identities had been hidden until Thursday. Their signatures on Santos' conditions of release were made public over the objections of the embattled congressman, who raised concerns it would open them up to retaliation.
The New York congressman confirmed the identities of his co-signers while speaking to reporters outside his office on Capitol Hill on Thursday, and reiterated his reasoning for wanting to keep their names hidden: "Now I know what's going to happen. You guys are going to go dig up their addresses their phone numbers. You're going to drive their lives absolutely miserable."
Santos and the co-signers could be on the hook for the $500,000 bond if he fails to appear to court or violates the terms of his release. The bond will be considered "satisfied" when Santos is either found not guilty on all charges, or appears to serve a sentence, according to the terms. It is unsecured, meaning Santos and his co-signers did not have to provide collateral that would be subject to forfeiture if he didn't comply with the court's orders.
Earlier this month, U.S. Magistrate Judge Anne Shields granted a request from media organizations and ordered the names of the co-signers to be unsealed, but kept their identities secret to allow Santos' lawyer to appeal the decision.
But on Monday, U.S. District Judge Joanna Seybert, who hears cases in Central Islip, New York, agreed to make the records disclosing the identities of the bond suretors available to the public.
The media outlets, including the New York Times, Associated Press, ABC News and the Washington Post, asked the court to reveal the bond co-signers' names last month. The outlets argued there was significant public interest in maintaining transparency in the proceedings involving Santos, and the public and the press have a First Amendment right to access the judicial records.
But Santos' lawyer opposed the requests and told the court that if the identities of the bond suretors were known to the public, the co-signers would be "likely to suffer great distress, may lose their jobs, and God forbid, may suffer physical injury."
"My client would rather surrender to pretrial detainment than subject these suretors to what will inevitably come," lawyer Joseph Murray told Shields in a June 5 letter.
In earlier letters to the court from late May, which were also unsealed Thursday, Murray indicated he had "difficulties in engaging" a third co-signer, and requested a modification to Santos' bail conditions to allow only two suretors. The government did not object to the request.
Santos was charged last month with 13 criminal counts, including wire fraud, money laundering and lying to Congress about his finances. He pleaded not guilty and was released on the $500,000 unsecured bond.
The House Ethic Committee, which is conducting its own investigation into Santos, has also requested he provide the names of the people who co-signed his bond.
Jacqueline Kalil contributed reporting.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- European diplomacy steps up calls for Gaza cease-fire
- Families say autism therapy helped their kids. Indiana’s Medicaid cuts could put it out of reach
- Susan Lucci honored, Barbara Walters remembered at 50th Daytime Emmy Awards: Watch
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Alex Jones offers to pay Newtown families at least $55 million over school shooting hoax conspiracy
- Serbia’s populists look to further tighten grip on power in tense election
- Putin supporters formally nominate him as independent candidate in Russian presidential election
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Brazil approves a major tax reform overhaul that Lula says will ‘facilitate investment’
Ranking
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- How to watch 'Born in Synanon,' the docuseries about a cult led by Charles 'Chuck' Dederich
- Boston Tea Party turns 250 years old with reenactments of the revolutionary protest
- Georgia middle school teacher accused of threatening to behead Muslim student
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Small plane crashes into power lines in Oregon and kills 3, police say
- Exclusive: Shohei Ohtani's agent provides inside look at historic contract negotiations
- Teddy Bridgewater to retire after the season, still impacting lives as 'neighborhood hero'
Recommendation
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
US military leaders press Israel to shift from major combat as Iranian-backed ship attacks escalate
Fire destroys a Los Angeles-area church just before Christmas
Browns DE Myles Garrett fined $25,000 by NFL for criticizing officials after game
Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
DK Metcalf's ASL teacher says Seahawks receiver brings his own flair to the language
Bethenny Frankel talks feuds, throwing drinks, and becoming an accidental influencer
How to save for retirement with $1 million in the bank by age 62